Friday, July 29, 2011

Two Poems

Apparently leaving Chicago has been the most fruitful inspiration I've felt in two years. I am so grateful to this city for facilitating so much positive change in me, for beating me up and nurturing me. I am truly ready to say goodbye, with a few sighs.

The Nature of Punctuation
From this bridge-
North-
looking Southeast,
the Sears Tower
(Willis Tower)
and the John Hancock
(Tower?)
form bookends of the
city
(Trump purposefully mis-shelved).
A mallard bobs her head
in time
to the riverside weeds.



On Leaving Chicago
I want to write about
diaspora,
and the feeling of inner-emigration.
Privately, I leave these
poems for Elijah at my dinner table,
filling the cracks in Walls with
tiny filaments of paper.

Instead,
I write of the
lush cornfields of Ann Arbor
and the feeling of
coming home.

No comments: