Friday, September 30, 2011

Poem 1 - Susan

Hello all! It's been a long, long time since I posted here, but I'm very much looking forward to this new incarnation of the blog. Since I'm back in school, but taking science and math courses rather than my usual history and language, I've been missing this kind of creative writing. I can't wait to get back into the groove of poetry, although it's been a long time since I've written with any seriousness.

I've always taken much of my inspiration from school books and courses - it's a constant source of amazement to me how all disciplines intertwine if you look closely enough. It's fair to say that this semester you'll be seeing a lot of Physics in my poetry, particularly relating to Newton's Laws, which have a lot to say about just about everything. Anyway, that's enough of an introduction. Without further ado, here's my first poem:

Song of Scales
Now is the Hour of Symmetry –
Autumnal.
The Sun balanced on its point
precarious above the wobbling Earth.
We could call it a system, unstable –
that when upset, experiences a force
in the same direction as the disturbance –
accelerates away from equilibrium.
Sailors and Astrologers –
(though, sailors have ever been
readers of the Stars)
Once marked this Equinox
when our Great Star, the Sun,
entered into Libra – bearer of the scales,
Goddess of Justice, Balance, Truth –
so many names, we might say,
for a single concept.
All things crave balance –
even our Tilted Earth,
if only for a moment, seeks solace
twice a year, in Symmetry.
And what cruelty then,
that such repose,
should be denied to Us, her creatures –
imperfect, crooked
from straining towards the daylight
even as the Nights
grow long.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

I just noticed that our blog time-stamps our entries as though we are still in Berkeley. <3

Naomi said...

Also, I love the accidental symmetry in our poems! The universe craves balance!

Naomi said...

I love how the poem builds emotionally. It is declarative and scientific at the start and then slowly breaks down visuals to be so personal and tragic. And with that heightened emotion the lines grow shorter- a perfect effect!

I'd be interested to see you play more with the format of the poem. I love the physics-driven lines, but I read them as an aside. If you heightened that effect it could be playful and acknowledge how a reader might respond, or at least a reader like me with little background in physics :)